Fire destroys car port in Milledgeville | News
Fire destroyed a carport and part of a home in Milledgeville. Baldwin County Fire Rescue got a call around 9:45 Wednesday night.
They responded within 10 minutes and were able to salvage much of the home.
But the car and pickup truck inside were a "total loss."
The carport and storage area attached to it didn't have working smoke detectors. That's one fire safety tool Chief Troy Reynolds says many people forget to buy.
"If you have an enclosed garage, it is smart to have a smoke detector tied into the smoke detectors in your home. It alerts you that a fire may be in your carport or somewhere else on your property," Reynolds says.
Almost two-thirds of deaths in fires happen in homes where there are no working smoke alarms.
The National Fire Protection Association says to install them in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of the home, including the garage.
They also suggest a combination alarm that detects both smoldering and flaming fires.
And most importantly, test your alarms at least once a month and replace the batteries annually.