Shutdown: Veteran Disability Checks Face Delays | News
Our oldest heroes may be the next to feel the effects of the government shutdown.
The Department of Veterans Affairs says they'll run out of money to pay disability checks, and that would affect millions of veterans nationwide.
Some disabled veterans made a home for themselves at the Georgia War Veterans Home in Milledgeville.
But many depend on the government checks to cover their rent.
"My disability check is maybe $190," says Wendall McClain, who has lived at the home for seven years.
"It's the only income I have," adds 69-year-old veteran Zackey Sanders.
The home, part of the Central State Hospital complex in Milledgeville, can house up to 350 veterans.
Upcoming Events near Milledgeville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Central, Howard Students honored by National Merit, National Achievement Programs
- Master plan in the works to revitalize downtown Macon
- Miller Middle School students participate in Junior Youth Assembly
- Drive-Thru Nativity in Macon this weekend
- Two Central High Seniors selected as QuestBridge Scholarship Finalists